Friday, September 18, 2009

OBSERVATIONS . . .

I always thought DC was the craziest place to drive.  I remember the few times we were visiting, I always felt like DC drivers were wild drivers.  Well let me tell you -- they have NOTHING on Chinese drivers!  At home, the pedestrian has the right of way.  Not here.  They feel like the car is bigger and worth more, so you'd better watch out!  Being in a taxi is an experience also.  Sometimes, you just have to close your eyes.  There's horns honking, people cutting in front of each other, people running red lights.  It's really wild.  I read in one of my information books, that everyone that drives in China will be involved in at least 2 minor car accidents a year, because of the way everyone drives.  Man, at home, if you were in 2 car accidents every year, you wouldn't be able to get insurance!  Ryan said he's used to it by now.  I'm still not.  Maybe by the end of the year, I will be.  But right now it's nothing for me to get in the taxi and just close my eyes.  It's easier that way!


I'm sure you've heard there are A LOT of people in China.  But I don't think you can realize just how many people are here, until you experience it for yourself.  Take the malls for example.  Picture our malls at home, the week before Christmas.  Then take that times 5!  That's what the malls here look like ALL THE TIME!!!!  I've never seen so many people in my life.  And it's always like that!  You can never walk into a restaurant and there not be a lot of people there.  You can't shop at Carrefour, which is like Walmart, without there being people and lines everywhere.  Even at 8 in the morning, Carrefour is packed.  Makes me long for the week before Christmas at home!

No comments: