Saturday, March 26, 2011

DAY 24 - TOO OLD TO LEARN?

Something You've Learned

I'm 40 years old ya'll.  I'm too OLD to learn anything new!  And yet, new things just keep coming up.  But I think the greatest thing I've learned is that sometimes what seems like the worst thing possible, can actually be a good thing.  Now, before you think I'm getting all preachy, let me explain.  

Less than 2 years ago, we found out we were going to have to move.  TO CHINA!!!  Here's how it all went down.  We found out on a Monday that we were being transferred.  And guess what?  We were on vacation that week.  We arrived home the following Monday.  Exactly 4 weeks and 1 day later, we left for China.  In that 29 days we had to find a school in Shanghai for the kids.  Find a place to live.  PACK.  Get their transcripts from their school in Kentucky to send to China. Get all 3 of them Passports and Visas.  Get OUR Visas.  PACK.  Get the house ready to be empty for a year.  PACK.  You get the picture?  

And to say I went kicking and screaming would be an understatement.  You see, I'm VERY close to my family.  And I may only have a *few* friends, but the ones I do have are very special to me and I'm very close to them.  And the thought of leaving all of that behind?  Even though it was only for a year?  It broke my heart.  And it scared the sh*t out of me.  And I cried.  A LOT.  I cried before we left.  I cried on the plane.  I cried when we got here.  It's a wonder I had any tears left I did so much crying. 

But then, guess what?  After what seemed like a REALLY long time, I started to enjoy my time here.  We saw things we'd never have seen if we stayed home.  Ya'll I'm a Kentucky girl.  (Hence the ya'll thrown in there!)  And I'll ALWAYS be a Kentucky girl.  I have no dreams of life in the big city.  Louisville is my home.  It always will be.  So I don't plan on living anywhere else.  This was my opportunity to see new things, visit new places, meet new people, experience a new culture, and then after a year, go back home.  To MY home.  And plant my big fat butt there and feel good that I got out, but now I'm home.

And we had an AMAZING year.  We lived in Shanghai.  We traveled to Beijing, Hong Kong, and Xi'an.  We became closer as a family.  We spent more time together.  We did new things together.  We experienced a new culture.  Together.  We tried new foods.  Together.  We got to share our life with Ryan's Grandfather and my parents.  They never would have had the opportunity, or even the desire most likely, to travel to some place like China.  But because we were here, they were able to enjoy it with us.  And I think they DID enjoy it. 

So yeah, while I'm very glad to be home, I'm also very thankful that I learned a new lesson.  And I'm very grateful that I got to experience things most people only dream about.  And maybe, just maybe, the next time something seems like a REALLY bad thing, I'll look back on this and realize that it might end up being one of the best experiences of my life. 

What have YOU learned lately?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so jealous that you're back in China.

I'm still working on learning to let go. As my children are mostly adults now, I'm still having trouble not treating them like my little babies.