Friday, March 25, 2011

DAY 23 - CHANGING IT UP A LITTLE . . .

Favorite Quote

Today was supposed to be Favorite Movie, but that was already asked and answered early on, so I'm changing it up a bit.  I've decided to tell you my favorite quote.  I first heard this back when I was in high school, and it's stuck with me all these years.  (And believe me, I've been out of high school for MANY years)! 

Anyway.  You guys remember "The Facts Of Life"?  Well I used to love that show.  (Go ahead, get your laughs out now).  Towards the end of the show they were all grown up.  Jo met this guy at the community center she worked at.  And he thought he was going to die on his 30th birthday.  (I think all his male family members had done the same thing, or something like that).  So he was very carefree and didn't worry about getting hurt because he thought he wasn't going to live very long anyway.  And he was becoming a bad influence on some kid they knew.  Of course his birthday came and went and he was still alive.  So he was talking to the kid about enjoying life, no matter how long it lasts, and he told him

LIFE IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.  IT IS A ONE AND ONLY PERFORMANCE.  SO YOU LIVE LIFE LIKE YOU'RE GONNA LIVE.  NOT LIKE YOU'RE GONNA DIE.

That quote really stuck with me.  And it still does.  Yeah, life sucks sometimes.  But sometimes. It doesn't.  Sometimes it's AWESOME.  But either way, you only get one life.  So why not make the best of it?  Why not enjoy it while you can?  Instead of spending all of your time thinking about what's WRONG with your life, why not enjoy and appreciate what's RIGHT with it?   Because you know what?  There are no do overs.  This is it.  Enjoy it.  Embrace it.  Live it to the fullest.  Do the things you want to do.  Enjoy the things you enjoy.  Don't worry so much about what other people think.  (Great advice Michelle.  Why don't you listen to yourself more often?!)  Because one day?  One day, it'll be gone.  And there's no going back.

There's another saying I heard that fits along the same lines.  Basically it's this:  When we die our tombstones will say 1970-?.  It's not the years on the end that matter.  It's the dash in between.  What does YOUR dash say about you?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great post! I agree with everything you just said.

My favorite quote:

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery. Today a gift to enjoy.