Monday, March 26, 2012

Hunger Games . . .

I took my 12 year old son to see "The Hunger Games" last night.  We both LOVED it!  It's definitely one of the best movies I've seen in years.  The acting was SUPERB.  Jennifer Lawrence was AMAZING as Katniss and Josh Hutcherson was the perfect Peeta.  He conveyed the longing and the love that Peeta has for Katniss with just a look.  And she portrayed Katniss' fear and disappointment without saying a word.  The supporting actors were great too.  Lenny Kravitz was my favorite.  I have to admit I shook my head when I heard he was playing Cinna.  I just didn't think he was the right fit.  But he NAILED it.  For as little as he was on the screen, he still had a big impact - his admiration for Katniss which then turned into love and respect.  Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was HYSTERICAL.  Most of the laughs came from him.

I love that the movie actually stuck to the story in the book.  But I do wish that they had spent more time on the actual Hunger Games and less time on the events leading up to it.  In the book, when Rue dies, I cried like a baby.  But I didn't when she died in the movie because they hadn't really spent a lot of time on their relationship.  But honestly, that is my only disappointment.  I think the movie was very well written.  The acting was amazing.  And I can't wait to see  "Catching Fire".  

A lot of people have talked about the violence in the movie.  If you've read the books, you know it's a violent subject and the books are VERY violent.  But I didn't think the violence in the movie was that bad.  I honestly think there is a lot  more violence in movies like "Transformers" and even "Star Wars."  I was a little leery about letting Jason see it because of all the things people were saying about the violence.  But he REALLY wanted to see it, and he'd read the book, so I took him.  However, I didn't want to take Andrew because I didn't know what to expect.  But after seeing the movie, I would let him see it if he wants to. 

If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend it, especially if you've read the books.  It's definitely one I'll be seeing again.  And the sooner the better!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I already wanted to see it and you just made my longing worse. LOL

My son and I will be going sometime in the near future :)