Thursday, February 16, 2012

PYHO: WHO I AM . . .

Do you ever feel like people have a TOTALLY different view of you than you do of yourself?  I feel that way almost all the time.

For example, my Mom thinks I am this person that has lots of self-confidence.  Really?  I have NO self-confidence.  I'm constantly worrying about what people are thinking or saying about me.  Did I say the wrong thing?  Should I have said something different?  Should I have not said anything at all?  ME?  Self-Confident?  PLEASE.  I wish!

My husband actually thinks I'm pretty.  No, he REALLY does.  How goofy is that?  I guess he must truly be blinded by love.  I think I have pretty eyes.  That's about it.  But I'm extremely overweight, my face still breaks out, my hair has to be washed every day so it's not oily, I have short and stubby toes and fingers, and poker straight hair.  Pretty?  Not hardly.  But honestly, I really think he thinks that.  Don't know why, but he does. 

My friends think I'm one of the nicest people they know.  No, seriously, a few of them have actually told me that.  I have one friend that tells me she loved me right away because I'm kind, friendly, welcoming, and wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone.  They say I'm easy to talk to, a good listener, give good advice, and I'm someone they can trust.  

How do my KIDS see me?  Well I guess that depends on the day.  Some days they think I'm the greatest Mom ever and they couldn't live without me.  Other days?  I'm the meanest Mom on earth and they wish I was richer, prettier, nicer, and more lenient.

People are always telling me that I'm a great mother, a great wife, and a wonderful friend.  

Put all those things together, and I think people see me like this:


Now, what am I REALLY like?

Well let's see.  I have NO self-confidence.  NONE.  ZIP.  ZERO.  ZILCH.  

I'm lazy, unorganized, un-pretty, nice enough, but definitely not the nicest person you'll ever meet.

I'm an okay Mom.  I LOVE my kids.  DEARLY.  But I'm not the kind of Mom that makes things and does everything from scratch and spends 24 hours a day tending to their every wish and demand.  

I'm a terrible housekeeper, (just ask my hubby), I HATE doing laundry, I don't really have any hobbies except maybe reading, watching TV, and hanging out with my family and my friends. 

I'm judgmental, I hold grudges, I don't volunteer at my kids' schools as much as I should, I'm a procrastinator.  (I mean, I'm writing this post a day late.  What does THAT tell you)?!

So yeah, MY opinion of me?  TOTALLY different than what other people think.  I WISH I was the type of person people think I am.  Instead, I'm more like this:

How about you?  Do YOU think you're the same person that OTHER people think you are?

3 comments:

Shell said...

We are so much harder on ourselves than any one else is. I think that's why others see the good and we see the bad.

Amy said...

I think the way others see you is pretty darn complimentary and you should stop being so hard on yourself and be proud of yourself. :)

I think you're a pretty neat person too btw...

Unknown said...

Ok, you and I seem to be toooo much alike!!!!!! I've been meaning to write a post about this exact thing!.. how others see us differently than we see ourselves!!... I feel like I could have written this entire post myself. I often wonder how other people see me. My friends love me, they think I'm hilarious and so nice. My husband thinks I'm beautiful. My kids think I'm the best mom in the world some days, and others not so much. I could go on and on! but I, myself, have a horrible self esteem and think I'm ugly and unloveable. Are we sharing a brain or something???