Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Andrew . . .

It's been awhile since I've given an update about Andrew.  Since I updated on Scott yesterday, I figured I'd update on Andrew today!  ;)

The same day I talked to the AP I also talked to his 3rd grade teacher.  And she's HYSTERICAL.  She's an amazing teacher, and Andrew was very lucky to have her.  When I saw her that day I told her what was going on and why I was worried about him.  Her exact words were, "He's a F'in Genius, I don't understand what his problem is!"  I LOVE HER!  ;)  She told me that she would take care of him.  So later that day she went to find him.  And she talked to him about how special he is, and how smart he is, and that he needs to stop worrying so much about what other people think.  She told him she'll always be there for him if he needs her.  (Told you she was great)!  :)

The next day the AP called to tell me that after talking to the counselor and the school psychologist, they thought I should contact his pediatrician.  But they were in agreement that he probably will need to see a counselor.  I also talked to his current teacher.  I told him if I take Andrew to a counselor and after a few sessions he/she tells me he's a normal 10 year old, then I will be fine with it.  He told me he's been teaching 5th graders for 10 years, and it's NOT normal 10 year old behavior.  Normal 10 year old's don't worry about death on a regular basis.  Normal 10 year old's aren't SO concerned about what other people think.  Normal 10 year old's don't worry about the end of the world.  He's NOT a normal 10 year old.  And he's right.  It's NOT normal 10 year old behavior.

So after talking to everyone at school, I DID call his pediatrician.  He said he has severe anxiety, and he needs to see a Child Psychologist.  Our insurance just switched over today, so I wanted to wait until then before finding a Psychologist.  I didn't want him to start with one person and then have to switch.  So now I'll start looking for one.  My problem though is that he seems to be doing better now and I don't want him to be stuck with the label of seeing a Psychologist, if everything is okay.  But I know it's cyclical.  I know that he could be upset tomorrow.  It's been awhile, so it's about time for it to happen again.  

A couple of weeks ago we were coming back from the school skating party.  On the way home he said, "I'll be glad when this month is over."  I asked him why and he said "Because they say the world is going to end this month."  REALLY?  How many 10 year old's worry about the end of the world?  I asked him who "they" was and he couldn't tell me, just that he'll be glad when this month is over.  I told him I'm 42 and I can't tell him how many times the world was "supposed" to end.  So then he asked me when it'll happen.  Will it hurt?  Will it be in our lifetime?  How will it end?  Will we KNOW it's ending?  I DID mention he's TEN, right?!  I don't worry about the end of the world and I'm FORTY-TWO.  (Shhhh, don't tell anybody).  Anyway, yeah, that's normal 10 year old behavior.  So I guess I'll be calling a Psychologist.  But in the meantime, he's doing well, and I hope it stays that way.  At least until we can get him to see a Psychologist.


1 comment:

Amy said...

So many people now talking about the movie 2012 and the Mayan calendar. There's even a show about people preparing for the end of civilization as we know it. I wonder if he's run across any of that on tv or if one of his friends has parents who stockpile....

Sounds like he's a super smart kid who's brain works way above age level! Here's hoping you can find someone to help him with the anxiety