Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Day Late . .

Okay, it's the 7th, and I'm just now posting my SIXTH post.  BUT, I have a good reason, and I will catch up.  I had EVERY INTENTION of posting yesterday.  But then my car died.  No, I mean REALLY died.  We went down to the lake Friday night so we could do a couple of things around the house, and then we had to pull the boat out of the water on Saturday.  They are lowering the lake in a week, and since we'll be at Homecoming next weekend, (YEA!), we HAD to get it done this weekend.  So we go to pull the boat out of the water, and the van won't move.  So we all get out of the car, and then Ryan's able to pull it out, but it was NOT happy.  And we wondered if we would make it up the hill.  Which we did, but it still wasn't happy.  For some reason it would never shift into gear.  We went from 3/4 of a tank of gas to 1/4 of a tank, in about 30 miles!  And every time we'd stop at a light, we'd wonder if it would move again.  And then finally it didn't.  So we pulled over to the side of the road and called AAA to get the car, and his Dad to get the boat and take it to the shop to get winterized.  The boys and Ryan went with Roger and Sarah and I went with the AAA driver. 

So yeah, I think my car is shot.  It's 9 1/2 years old, with 120K+ miles on it, so it's probably time for a new car.  I was just hoping it would be another year or two before we would have to buy one.  I'm crossing my fingers that maybe they will look at it at the shop and can fix it for under $500.  But I doubt we'll be that lucky.  So in the meantime, I'm looking at cars online, and then REALLY hoping they can fix my car.  Y'all, cars are EX-PEN-SIVE!  And we have to get something that will pull the boat, so that makes it even more expensive because you can't just go with any type of car.  Plus, we have 3 kids.  That are growing up and getting bigger.  Ryan wants to get a truck, but I REALLY don't want a truck.  I'd much rather have an SUV.  Actually, I want another van.  But vans aren't made for pulling boats, so that's probably not an option.  So we'll see.  Please pray that they can fix our car.  Then we won't have to make this decision for another year or two.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Oh no! That does not sound fun. I guess the best thing is that you have been lucky enough to have someone to fall back on (your family and the AAA) to help with the car when it failed and get the boat home.

I hope all goes well and that they can repair the van.

Best wishes!

Amy said...

Ouch. Sounds expensive. I hate car issues. We have B's truck sitting at the mechanics now with $1300 in transmission issues and my car having it's own problems. Both of them are 12 years old and close to 200,000 miles. Did I mention I hate cars? LOL

HOpe it's something small and they can fix it quickly!

JanetGoingCrazy said...

Ugh!! I hate car problems. My dad is a mechanic and I don't take care of my vehicle like I should...but then I turn into this little baby when I have a car problem. :(
Good Luck on your car shopping!