Saturday, July 23, 2011


I'm not ashamed to admit that I went to NKOTBSB this week.  It was AWESOME!  For those of you that don't speak the lingo, that's New Kids On The Block and Backstreet Boys.  And did I mention, it was AWESOME!

I felt like a teenager again.  First off, let me give you a little background.  I LOVED New Kids on the Block.  I was never much of a Backstreet Boys fan, but after this concert, I think I've been converted!  Anyway, we have a New Years Eve party every year.  We started doing it because we all have kids and it's hard to find a babysitter that night, so we just started having our own party and everyone brings their kids.  We've had 3 so far, and they get bigger and bigger every year.  And that's okay.  I LOVE it.  This past New Years Eve, NKOTBSB were on Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve.  Now, my friend Laura and I have known each other since we were 13.  Sandy and I have known each other since I was 19.  So let's just say, we know each other REALLY well, and we share a lot of history. We were in the other room when they came on.  We BOLTED into the family room and were singing and dancing to them while they were on.  Our kids looked at us like we were insane.  (They might not have been far off)!  We laughed and sang and had a ball.  A couple of weeks later Sandy called to tell me they were coming to Louisville and her and I and Laura should go.  So as soon as tickets went on sale, I bought them.  SSSOOO glad I did.

Here's Sandy's version of the night, complete with pictures and with a little bit of teasing thrown in.  She just recently started keeping a blog.  And she's a REALLY good writer.  So anyway, to see the pictures, hear about how funny I was, and hear HER version, go HERE.

For those of you that don't know me well, a lot of this won't be that funny.  But for those of you that DO know me, you will probably find it quite comical because you should have no problems picturing me during all of this!  The concert started at 8.  So I thought.  The plan was to leave at 5:15, which would give us plenty of time to get down there, grab some dinner, and then go to the concert.  Of course, because I'm ALWAYS late, we left closer to 5:30.  No big deal, we'd still be fine.  Then we got on the interstate and the traffic was psychotic!  What should have been about a 20-25 minute trip, turned into at least an hour.  While we were driving I told Sandy to pull out the tickets to make sure the time was right.  Guess what?  It wasn't.  The concert ACTUALLY started at 7:30.  Yeah, that's right.  30 minutes earlier than I thought.  Nice huh?  So then I REALLY started panicking.  

We finally made it Downtown and found a place to park.  We had about 45-60 minutes before the concert started.  And of course, every place we went was packed and had an hour or more wait.  We finally went to The Spaghetti Factory and decided we'd have a drink and wait for a table to open in the bar.  Laura stalked a couple that was about to leave, and they gave us their table.  We ordered a couple of appetizers and decided if we missed part of the opening act, that was okay.  

Then my friend Kathy, who was working the concert, texted me to tell me that Matthew Morrison just walked past her.  I'm a HUGE Gleek.  And I KNEW he was opening up for them.  But because I'm old and forgetful and unorganized and scatterbrained, I totally forgot.  Y'all, it was 20 minutes before the concert was supposed to start, we hadn't finished our food or drinks, I had to go to the bathroom, and we were 3 blocks away.  You people have never seen me move so fast in my life.  I was rushing everyone telling them to hurry up.  We finished eating, I used the facilities, we walked briskly, (because I don't run), to the Yum! Center, found our seats and sat down.  Less than 10 seconds later, Matthew walked on stage.  How's THAT for timing?!

He was great!  So glad we made it in time.  Even Laura and Sandy, who spent 20 minutes teasing me about watching Glee, talked about how cute he was and that he was a good singer.  Maybe I've converted them after all!

Next came NKOTBSB.  It was surprising to me how many of the words I still remembered.  And man did they put on a show.  And they were HOT, HOT, HOT!  (Maybe I'm not as old as I think I am)!  We had SO much fun. We waved our arms in the air, we pulled out our cell phones for light, since we didn't have lighters, we sang, we danced, we laughed.  We walked out of there with no voices and not much hearing.  But it was SO worth it.  I felt like a teenager again.  And believe me, it's been a LONG time since I was a teenager!

All in all it was an amazing night, with amazing friends, reliving our youth.  I wouldn't trade it for the world!

P.S.  Sandy was the only one smart enough to bring her camera, so after she sends me the pictures she took, I'll post them here.

No comments: