Sunday, December 6, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD ! ! ! !

Okay, so I told you about my Mom last month on HER birthday.  Now let me tell you about my Dad, on HIS birthday.  Happy Birthday Dad!

My dad was the dad that all of my friends loved when I was growing up.  He's funny, fun to be around, always in a good mood, (at least he puts up a good front), and just an all around good guy!  He makes me laugh, he makes me cry, he listens to me, he talks to me, he understands me, he makes me feel like I'm the best daughter in the whole wide world.

When I was in High School we used to go on retreats every year.  Your parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, anyone who wanted to, could write you a letter.  And then you would get them delivered to you during the retreat to read while you were gone.  So let me tell you about the letter I received from my Dad during Freshman Retreat.  I still remember it all these years later.

He starts by telling me that he *really* wanted a boy, and he just knew that I was going to be that boy.  So my Mom was in labor, and he waited out in the waiting room.  (At least that's the story I'm telling.  His friend told him to go ahead and leave and come to a cookout, because there was no way they were going to wake Mom up to have me.  I wouldn't be born until the next day.  Guess what?  He was right)!  Anyway, he's waiting for me to be born, just knowing that I am going to be a boy.  I guess you've figured out by now that he was wrong!  The nurses come out to tell him that I'm a girl.  And he calls HIS Mom.  (Who, by the way, was the GREATEST Grandma that ever lived)!  So he calls Grandma to tell her that I'm a girl, and Grandma tells him, "Don't sound so disappointed!"

By this time in the letter, I'm felling like I should apologize for being a girl.  And I'm crying.  But then he goes on to tell me that as soon as he saw me he knew I was a gift from God and that I was the best little girl ever made.  And that he thanks God for me everyday and that he's lucky to have me for a daughter.  (He's good, don't ya think)?

I think God really knew what he was doing when he gave me him for a Dad.  I remember when I was growing up we were studying about adoptions in school.  And I asked my Mom if I was adopted.  She said, "Michelle, as much as you are like your Dad and your Grandma, do you really think you could be adopted?!"  And she was right.  My Dad and I are a lot alike.  I remember being with a friend a few years ago and talking about my freckles.  I said of all the things I could have gotten from him, why did it have to be the freckles?!  And she said, "oh, you definitely go a lot more than the freckles from your Dad."  And I took that as a compliment.  She's right.  I like to think there are a lot of things I got from him.  And for those things, I am very proud.

Thanks Dad, for helping to be the person that I am today.  Thanks for teaching me love and compassion.  Thanks for teaching me how to enjoy myself and have a good time.  Thanks for teaching me to enjoy being around other people.  Thanks for letting me know that you will always love me no matter what.

I love you with all my heart!

Your *FAVORITE* daughter!

No comments: