Tuesday, May 3, 2011

LAST DAY - SPECIAL MEMORY . . .

One Story Of A Memory You Have

When I was little, some of my favorite memories are of the weeks we used to spend down at Nolin Lake.  We would pack up the cars and trucks, and then head down to the lake for a week of sun, fun and relaxation.  There were usually 4-6 families that went down with us. 

The cabin we stayed in had 2 bedrooms, a sunken family room, a kitchen and dining area, and 1 bathroom.  All of the kids slept in the sunken family room.  The adults used to call it "the pits".  Nice huh?  It also had a nice large deck and was just a short walk down to the water. 

The men used to cook breakfast in the morning, we'd have sandwiches and chips down by the lake for lunch, and then each family would take turns cooking dinner at night.  We'd spend the days on the lake, fishing, skiiing, tubing, and swimming.  At night we'd just hang out and play games.  One of our favorite games to play was spoons.  If you've never played it, you're really missing out!  We used to play it for HOURS.  Here's how it works:  Depending on the number of people playing, you put one less spoon in the middle of the table.  Everyone is dealt 4 cards.  The dealer then pulls out other cards from the deck and discards a card and passes it around.  The goal is to get 4 of a kind.  The first person that gets 4 of a kind tries to grab a spoon without anyone noticing.  Once the first spoon is gone, then it's a free for all, and everyone can grab them.  The person that doesn't get a spoon is out, and you keep playing, taking out a spoon each time you lose a person, until there's only 1 person left standing.  It might not sound like fun, but believe me, when you're 10 and 11, it's A LOT of fun!

Some of my greatest memories are of our times at the lake.  It still brings a smile to my face every time I think about our summers spent down there. 

Now, we go to Rough River Lake because that's where my FIL lives.  We spend almost every weekend down there.  And my kids LOVE it.  And so do we.  Sometimes we go by ourselves, and other times we go down with our friends and their kids.  But no matter who we go with, we always have a good time.  We always look forward to our weekends at the lake.  I'm really glad my kids are able to make some of the same types of memories that I have.

3 comments:

Amy said...

We spent a lot of time during the summer camping and at a cottage on the lake too. I miss those times. That was great!

I've never played spoons but it sounds like fun. I want to go camping this summer, might have to take a deck of cards and try it out.

Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I love that memory... reminds me of so many that I have from when my family was camping as I grew up! Wonderful times.

So glad to have met you - can't wait to get to know you more through the #SITSclass project!

Melody said...

It is awesome you are creating more wonderful memories. Keep having fun :)