Saturday, May 1, 2010

XI'AN . . . PART 1 . . .

Ryan had to go to Xi'an for work a couple of weeks ago, so the kids and I flew out with him to spend a couple of days.  We flew out on Wednesday evening and came back on Saturday morning, because Ryan had a meeting for work.  He had to work on Thursday morning, so the kids and I hung out at the hotel and walked around outside for a little bit.  After he got back we did a little bit of sightseeing.  That afternoon we went to the Muslim Quarter and The City Wall.  I'm not sure if you like the history lessons, but I'm going to keep giving them!

Xi'an used to be the starting point of the silk road.  Horses, camels and carriages brought precious goods from one part of the world to the other.  But not only material things were transported.  Culture, religion and languages were also brought to China from what we today call Turkey.
These are some of the foods they were selling on the street.
I guess this is how they clean the nuts.  There is sand in there.  Not sure how that helps!
More food for sale along the road.
One of the buildings.
I think this is his idea of "posing"!
More architecture along the road.  This is part of the Muslim Quarter that we walked along. 
He's getting SO big!  Not sure how he grew up so fast!
Andrew DOES NOT know how to pose for pictures!
Drum Tower.  Ryan and the boys went up it.  Too many steps to cart the stroller, so Sarah and I just walked around in the street and shopping area while they were up there.
The Drum, of Drum Tower.
This was taken from up in the Tower, looking down over the rest of the area.
Another picture from up in the Tower.
The boys up in the Tower.
This is the Bell Tower, which is actually the most famous tower.  It's at the opposite end of the Drum Tower.
Bell Tower
This was taken up on the City Wall.  The wall surrounds the city.  You can walk the whole thing.  We only walked a small portion of it. 
Not sure what this is, but it looked important, so I took a picture of it!
Jason looking out over the City Wall.
Can you tell she has older brothers?!
My goofy little boy!
What a bunch of hams!
They're too funny!
My little poser!
I know I might be a little biased, but what a cutie!
My Motley Crew!
They actually look like they like each other, don't they?!
Looking down over the wall.
My Drew Drew!
Aren't they adorable?!
Isn't she lucky?!
They LOVE their little sister!
These are the steps we had to climb to get up to the City Wall!
The ONLY hotel name I recognized while we were there!
If you're not a Kremer, you won't "get" why I took this picture.  And if you are, you'll understand why I still have moments where I KNOW she is, and will always be, with me.


No comments: