Saturday, January 16, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREW . . .

Eight years ago today, my beautiful baby boy was born. Andrew Joseph Bruner. I remember his birth like it was yesterday. For the second time I had to be induced at 38 weeks because my blood pressure was skyrocketing and only going higher. So I was scheduled for January 16, 2002. And I was SO ready. I had a 2 1/2 year little boy that was taking up all of my energy, and I just wanted this new little boy of ours to be born. We already had his name picked out. Andrew Joseph. We LOVED the name Andrew, and it was actually one of the names we had considered for Jason. So Andrew he would become. And his middle name would be Joseph, after Ryan's Grandmother Joe Ann, and my Dad, Michael Joseph. Joseph was a perfect middle name for him.

I went in early that morning to be induced.  Only this time, the epidural never took. They kept trying to put medicine in, and it wasn't working. I was feeling EVERY contraction. And believe me, they HURT!! I thought I was going to lose what little bit of sanity I had left! Finally, they figured out that the epidural was put in wrong, so they had to put another one in. It was about this time that the nurses realized that I was fully dialated.  Nice timing, huh?! So they start getting me prepped and lo and behold there was Andrew's head! They decided to wait until the doctor came in before they did anything else. He came in and then went to use the phone to check his pager. They all just looked at him, because obviously he didn't realize that my little Andrew was ready to come out. 

Finally he sits down and realizes how close we are. So we get ready, and he tells me to push. And I did. And out came Andrew's head. So he told me not to push any more because they were cleaning his eyes out or something like that. All I remember is that I had another contraction, and out he came. And the nurse and the doctor CAUGHT him, because he was coming out whether they were ready for him or not! As soon as they laid him on my stomach, he PEED ALL OVER ME! Everyone just laughed. (It wasn't like I didn't need a shower anyway)! So then they took him over to clean him up and weigh him. He weighed 6 lbs and 15 3/4 oz. I distinctly remember the nurse telling him, "See, if you hadn't peed on your Mommy, you would have been a full 7 pounds!"

And he was a beautiful baby.  My favorite picture is the first time Jason held him.  I can still picture him sitting on the couch, wearing his St. X sweatshirt, Thanks Uncle Scott, and holding Andrew.  Honestly, I don't know whatever happened to that picture, but I don't need it in front of me to see it.  It's vividly burned in my brain.  They were both so cute sitting there together.

And now my little boy is 8 years old.  And the light of my life.  Nanny calls him her little Sunshine.  And that's a great description of him.  He has a smile that can light up a room.  And he has the most beautiful eyes you've ever seen.  From the time he was a baby everyone has always been enamored with his eyes.  I remember one time being in Rite Aid, and someone started talking to him, and he said, "I know, I know, I have beautiful eyes!"  He must have been about 4, and he'd heard it so many times that he thought he knew what the lady was going to say to him.

And now my little boy is 8 years old.  And a big brother himself.  And a great big brother.  And he loves his sister.  And sometimes he loves his brother!  And he loves Math.  And he loves to read.  And he loves to write.  And he loves to tease.  Sometimes he can spin a tale that sounds so real that you just don't know what to believe.  And he's not lying.  He just likes to tease.  And he's very good at it! 

My baby boy isn't much of a baby anymore.  He's 8 years old.  And it's been a wonderful 8 years.  I love him with all of my heart.

Happy Birthday Andrew.

Love Mommy

No comments: