Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Being The Parent Of A Teen . . .

My son is 12.  He'll be 13 in 2 months.  TWO MONTHS!  Seriously, where does the time go?  It seems like only yesterday he was gracing us with his presence.  And now, he's going to be 13.  THIRTEEN.  I'm SO not ready for this.  

And I see the signs of teenagerism, (yes, I made that word up, but I think it's appropriate), in him every day.  Jason has always been my quiet one.  He definitely doesn't have a lot of Kremer blood in him, because talking has never been his strong point.  But now?  Now he talks even less.  Now getting more than one or two words out of him is like pulling teeth.  Now he would bury himself in his room all day every day, if I would let him. 

But honestly, I don't know how I'm going to handle the teen years.  I'm already scared.  I'm already dreading it.  I'm already worrying about the person my son is going to turn into.  

For those of you that are IN the teen years or have made it out on the other side-how did you survive?  Should I be as panicked as I am, or is it easier than I imagine?  Is my sweet little boy going to stay that way, or is he going to become a little demon? 

1 comment:

Amy said...

It's like riding a roller coaster. Hang on and enjoy the ride. I have survived the ride 3 times, have 3 months left and my 4th one down will be 20 and still have way too far to go to see the end with the youngest. :)

There will be good days and bad days. Just try to keep the lines of communication open. :)