Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day 7: Marriage . . .

Day 7:  Write A Post Inspired By This One Word:  Marriage

That's kind of a loaded word.  It means different things to different people.  And honestly, it means different things to ME at different times.  My husband and I have been married for over 17 years.  And depending on the day, marriage is WONDERFUL.  On other days, not so much!  ;-)  I remember before we got married, Ryan's Grandpa told me one thing.  He said, 'people will tell you that marriage is 50/50.  But that's not true.  It's actually 90/10.  Most days you will think that YOU'RE giving 90% and he's only giving 10%, and he'll think HE'S the one giving 90% and you're only giving 10%.'  It's probably the best piece of advice anyone has ever given me.  And it's SO true.  Most days I DO feel like I'm giving 90%, but I'm sure that he feels the same way. 
 
No one ever said marriage is easy.  And if someone DOES tell you that, then they're lying.  Another piece of advice I got, from my mom, is that you can't live with someone 24/7 and NOT have problems.  You're not the same people.  You don't have the same thoughts and feelings, so you're going to have some problems.  But making a marriage work means working THROUGH those problems.  It means knowing that some days are good days, and some days are bad days.  And hopefully, there's a lot more good days than there are bad days. 

No comments: